This past SXSW, I had the honor of curating and moderating a terrific and diverse panel of investors at the TFQ Lounge.
Christine Herron, Co-lead – Intel Capital Diversity Fund
Sean Jacobsohn, Partner – Norwest Venture Capital
Suzy Ryoo, Venture Partner – Atom Factory and Cross Culture Ventures
Aditi Maliwal, Corporate Development – Google (formerly Crosslink Captial)
Some key takeaways for founders that are fundraising:
- Be thoughtful in your outreach to VCs – customize your emails (it is obvious when you do not).
- Do your HOMEWORK – know about the firm and partner you are meeting.
- Be prepared for your meetings and do not be dependent on your deck. You should know your business and your market inside-out.
- It’s great you have a plan to get to $50M, but we also want to know how you will get to your first million.
- Know your market size – bottom up, not just top down.
- Know your why and be prepared to speak to it.
Watch the clip below for more great advice.